Learn the best practices for seo by following these simple guidelines.
You’ve heard it before, and you’ll hear it again – “Content is King”. Posting high quality content containing targeted keywords is a must, and this must be done regularly. As a general rule, think each post that you write will bring you one unique visitor per month, obviously a targeted post should bring more than one visitor, but it’s a healthy way to think about it.
When posting new content it is imperative that the post has a good URL structure. Using keywords in your URL is a must though you should avoid using words like ‘a’, ‘our’, ‘for’, ‘the’ as they could have a negative impact on rankings. Using fewer words will give more weight to your keywords.
- Include Keywords.
- Avoid duplicate words e.g. software/software.php
- Use ‘-‘ to replace spaces.
- Avoid words like ‘a’, ‘our’, ‘for’, ‘the’.
- Try to avoid using anything other than hyphens to separate words in a URL, they are user friendly and also make it clearer to search engine bots.
- Fewer words the better
- Keep your URL’s clean (avoid GET variables software.php?random=random)
- Choose either ‘www.’ or not
- http://charlie-stellling.co.uk and http://www.charlie-stelling.co.uk are two seperate domains, choose which one you prefer and stick to it. Make sure you have redirects in place to avoid duplicate content issues. The same situation is observed for the trailing slash, ‘http://www.charlie-stelling.co.uk’ and ‘http://www.charlie-stelling.co.uk/’ – Choose one and stick to it.
If creating a blog try to set this up on the same sub-domain to what you want to promote. For example, your main store is on the sub domain ‘www’ (www.some_store.com) – don’t create a new sub domain for your new blog unless you have to.
Backlinks are critical to the success of a webpage ranking in Google if done correctly. An organic growth in relevant backlinks to websites with good page rank will boost your chances of ranking highly.
Don’t backlink to spam sites or sites with questionable content. When you do give backlinks, make sure the site has a fair page rank.
Use Google’s Disavow tool to remove backlinks that are affecting your page rank e.g. low PR or spam sites.
Activity on social media networks is a ranking factor. Sites that engage with their audience and are seen to have a decent following on the social sites are much more likely to rank better. As well as the ranking factor, posting statuses with links to your newly created content can help push more traffic to your site. Don’t spam though – no-one likes spam.
Page Load Speed
It is claimed that 75% of visitors wouldn’t return to a website if it took longer than 4 seconds to load